Supporting Ukraine

Posted 25 Mar 2022

UPDATED 4 May 2022:

Manchester City Council has issued some helpful advice and guidance for those who would like to support the people of Ukraine. If you would like to find out what you can do, visit:

UPDATED 30 March 2022:

Announced this week, people who sponsor a Ukrainian individual or family will not see their household benefit entitlements affected. Read the full statement from Work and Pensions Secretary Thérèse Coffey.  

The Department for Work & Pensions has also announced that people fleeing the war in Ukraine and arriving in the UK can claim benefits immediately, from the first day they arrive. Translation services are available for those making claims on the phone, and Work Coaches and DWP staff at Jobcentres are on hand to support people making claims online. 

You can find out more on GOV.UK


Do I need permission from One Manchester to register for the Homes for Ukraine scheme? 

Yes, you do need permission from One Manchester to register for the Homes for Ukraine scheme, as your One Manchester tenancy agreement does not permit anyone other than the lawful occupiers to occupy your home without prior written consent. 

In your One Manchester tenancy agreement, you have agreed to: 

  • not permit anyone other than the Lawful Occupiers to occupy your home without prior written consent from OM. 

  • not to take in a lodger without first getting our consent.  

  • not to part with possession or sub-let (including granting any holiday lettings) the whole, or any part of your home or the property. 

How do I seek permission from One Manchester to register for the Homes for Ukraine scheme? 

  • Please use the contact us button to get in touch. Let us know you're interested in participating in the scheme and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. 

I have a spare bedroom, how many people can I support? 

If your application to become a “sponsor” is successful, the government’s guidance will include information on the checks they will be undertaking on both sponsors and people seeking to come to the UK. Furthermore, there will also be information provided around the status of the arrangement you will be entering into (including expected accommodation standards). 

  • Anyone in the UK (of any nationality and any immigration status, providing they have at least six months leave to remain in the UK) with a spare room, or separate self-contained accommodation that is unoccupied can come forward to help. 

  • Accommodation must be available for at least six months, be fit for people to live in, and suitable for the number of people to be accommodated. 

Will I be paid rent? 

No, and you should not charge any rent. The government recognises people’s generosity and knows that there will be costs associated with helping, and so they are offering an optional ‘thank you’ payment of £350 per month to people who can accommodate one or more individuals (subject to the accommodation they have). 

The thank you payment is limited to one payment per residential address. You will continue to receive payments for as long as you sponsor somebody, for up to 12 months. This payment will be made in arrears. 

Eligibility checks will be carried out which may include a visit to your home. 

Will this affect my benefits?  

As yet, there is no guidance on how this will affect someone's benefits, although it is hoped and expected that the £350 a month would not be taken into account as income and would not be taxed. 

However, there could be an impact on: 

  • Housing Costs Contributions (Non dependent deductions) 

  • Under-occupancy charge (Bedroom Tax) 

  • Council Tax and Council Tax Support Scheme 

  • Obligations under the Right to Rent. 

Will taking in a Ukrainian national affect my Council Tax or other DWP benefits?  

The £350 payment will not be treated as family income, it won’t affect rights to universal credit, and it won’t affect council tax where there is a 25% discount for a single person. 

Am I expected to provide meals too or just accommodation? 

Just accommodation. However, there is nothing stopping sponsors offering meals should they wish to. You will not be expected to cover the costs of food and living expenses. 

Will those who access the sponsorship scheme have the right to work and/or be eligible for benefits? 

Under the government’s new sponsorship scheme, those fleeing from the war in Ukraine will be given the right to work when their applications are accepted.  

The same working rights are granted to those who are eligible to stay in the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme.  

People staying under the family scheme will also be given visas lasting up to three years. 

What is One Manchester doing to support the people of Ukraine? 

One Manchester has donated 100 winter warmer packs to the Ukraine appeal and one of our suppliers has donated 100 space blankets. 

What is Manchester City Council (MCC) doing to support the people of Ukraine?  

Manchester has a long history of supporting those in need and welcoming people from troubled nations into our communities. 

MCC are waiting for further information from the government about accepting refugees in Manchester, but they want to be able to offer the maximum support, so they are: 

  • In regular communication with the government to understand what provisions Manchester may need to provide, should there be an ask for humanitarian support. 

  • In discussions with local charities to understand how we can work together to support people fleeing from Ukraine who arrive in our city. 

  • Talking to our Ukrainian communities to consider what support will be required if Manchester is asked to welcome Ukrainian refugees. 

  1. Are there any other ways I can help the people of Ukraine? 

The safest and most effective way you can help is to donate to the Disasters Emergency Committee’s (DEC) Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal. 

Funds raised will ensure refugees and displaced families get the support and essential supplies they need.