The cost of gas and electricity is rising, there are some checks and changes you can make to ensure you're not paying more than you need to for energy. Make sure you're aware of the help available to you so you have the most efficient provider.
- check you're receiving any discounts that you are entitled to - Warm Homes Discount, Cold Weather Payments or the Winter Fuel Payment
- check you're on the best energy deal. Standard tariffs are often more expensive than fixed tariffs. Energy prices can vary from one energy provider to another so why pay more for exactly the same thing? Even customers on prepayment meters can compare and switch so long as they are not in debt by £500 or more.
- save energy where possible with these tips
If you're struggling to pay your water bill, United Utilities have lots of payment schemes to help.
How can you save money on your energy bills?
There is a free advice service that you can access if you need help reducing your energy bills. LEAP (Local Energy Advice Partnership) have helped lots of households to save money and keep their homes warm and cosy.
If you’re eligible, you can get a free home visit from a friendly, qualified LEAP home energy adviser who can:
- Help check if you are on the cheapest energy tariffs – this could save you over £280 a year.
- Install free, simple, energy-saving measures which can save the average household £30 on their energy bills a year.
- Give you day-to-day energy efficiency hints and tips to make sure your heating system is set-up to keep you warm and save money.
- Arrange a free telephone advice service to help with benefits, debt and other money problems.
Find out more about LEAP by visiting their website. If you are a One Manchester tenant, please state this when speaking to them.
Switching - go on, give it a go!
Most energy suppliers have special tariffs for people who are on a low income or have health problems. It is always worth ringing your supplier to see if you are on the lowest tariff available.
There are also a host of online sites that can help you compare the different energy suppliers to see which one could save you the most.
We would recommend that you actually compare the comparison sites as they do differ and can give you different options. The main comparison sites are:
If you're having difficulty paying your energy bill or are in debt on your bill or meter, our One Money team offers free advice on 0330 355 1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To keep up to date with money advice and support, subscribe to our money advice and tips marketing list.